My favourite books on "Non-Design" topics

On the concluding day of  every module (a set of classes in IDC which takes about 8 to 12 days to complete), I have a long Q&A session over tea, with my students. Many of them ask me which are my favourite books on design. But recently a few students asked me about my favourite books on "non-design" topics.

BTW my students have full freedom to ask me questions on anything, they ask questions on design AND non design topics. The non design topics range from how was life during my student days, cricket, alcohol, drugs, cinema,global warming, sustainability,  to meditation, spirituality and yoga!


Here are my favourite "non design books". Sequencing is not based on how much I love these books. I love all of them

1. Kallichellamma (Malayalam).
Author: G.Vivekanandan.
It portrays the real down to earth life of a poor woman, characters speak in their rustic village language and emotions are hidden very cleverly in a subtle manner throughout the novel, as the story progresses. I love this more so, because it is written by my dad when he was a student. I got a chance to design a cover for this book in the eighties.

2. Tuesdays with Morrie.
Author: Mitch Albom

3. Wisdom for the New Millennium
Author: Sri Sri Ravishankar

4. The Bhagavad Gita: Chapters 1-13
Author: Sri Sri Ravishankar

5. Insanely great: the life and times of Macintosh, the computer that changed everything.
Author: Steven Levy 

6. A Century Is Not Enough: Inside The Mind Of A Cricketing Legend
Author: Sourav Ganguly

7. Jaya: An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharata
Author: Devdutt Pattanaik

8. Sita: An Illustrated Retelling of the Ramayana
Author: Devdutt Pattanaik

9. Adi Shankaracharya’s Bhaja Govindam
Author: Swami Sukhabodhananda

10. Shiva Sutras
Author: Swami Sukhabodhananda

11. Narada Bhakti Sutra: The Aphorisms of Love
Author: Sri Sri Ravishankar

12. The Philosophy of Narayana Guru
Author: Swami Muni Narayana Prasad

13. Happiness Express
Authors: Khurshed Batliwala, Dinesh Ghodke

14. Iruttinte Atmavu, Perunthachan, Randamoozham, Kuttyedathi, Naalukettu, (All Malayalam)
Author:  M.T. Vasudevan Nair

15. Guru (Malayalam)
Author: K. Surendran

16. Oru Sankeerthanam Pole (Malayalam)
Author: Perumbadavam Sreedharan

17. Stumbling Into Infinity: An Ordinary Man in the Sphere of Enlightenment
Author: Michael Fischman

18. Manifestations of Shiva
Author: Stella Kramrisch

19. Sunny Days
Author: Sunil Gavaskar

20.The Tao of Reiki
Author: Lawrence Ellyard

21. Essential Reiki: A Complete Guide to an Ancient Healing Art
Author: Diane Stein




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devanagari Text input problems in Indesign and Illustrator

My blogs and social media handles

Ani Tithech Mrutyu